The Leader is You!August 13, 2016
Every July, TermNet hosts the International Terminology Summer School (TSS), an event dedicated to terminology and its applications. This is the event I heartily recommend for anyone working in language services or in technical documentation. This year’s edition will be hosted by Technische Hochschule Cologne, during 10-14 July. I have taken part both in the Terminology Manager course and TSS 2015 (also in Cologne) and both have been wonderful professional and personal experiences.
In case you still have doubts on whether to register for this year’s TSS, you may want to go through my five reasons to go and benefit from the event:
- Great line-up of trainers. The list includes the best and well-known professors like Frieda Steurs, Klaus-Dirk-Schmitz, Georgeta Ciobanu, to name a few. All trainers have participated in shaping terminology theory and practice at various levels. For me, it was an honor to have them as trainers.
- Practice-driven lectures. All lectures and workshops are practice-oriented, from where you can pick up new ideas to implement in your own terminology environment.
- Best practice exchange. Participants come for a multitude of industries and specializations. Both companies and public institutions were well represented. For example, in 2015, there were participants from the United Nations, European Commission, European Space Agency, US Department of State, from universities, Facebook, Deutsche Bahn, or translation and localization companies. It was great to talk about how each organization implemented terminology, what were the costs and the results.
- Networking. TSS welcomes around 80-100 participants from various countries and industries. Everybody “breathed” terminology, translation or technical writing, so it was easy to connect.
- Lots of fun. After that much formal terminology talk, everybody is invited to local pubs to taste the local beer and laugh or to visit Cologne on foot.
More information on the programme and fees is available on the TermNet website here. Following TSS, you can earn your Terminology Manager Basic or Advance Certificate that can be a boost for your professional career. Hurry up to register and benefit from existing discounts. Meanwhile, I will be waiting for your TSS feedback.